Tips For Searching the Swimming Rosters
To search the database, simply type the term(s) or phrase into the text box, select the search option (equals, begins with, contains or not equal) and press the "Find" button.
Search on multiple fields -- enter search terms in the text boxes for two or more fields, select the search option and press the "Find" button. (all multiple field searches are "AND" searches. It is not currently possible to do "OR" searches.)
Year and Date Range searches are numeric searches, only number values will return proper results.
Searches look for exact matches. If you do not get expected results, or are not sure of spelling, try using the "begins with" of "contains" search options.
- equals -- finds exact content of the field
- searching for "lastname=Johns" will find Johns, but not Johnson or Johnston
- begins with -- finds any word in the field that begins with the character string
- searching for "firstname begins with And" will find Andrew, Andy, and Andree, but not Alexander
- contains -- finds the character string anywhere in the field
- searching for "lastname contains John" will find Johns, Johnson, Johnston and Prettyjohn
- not equal -- finds all records that do not include the specified text string
- searching "lastname contains evas" and "first name not equal forrest" will find James Evashevski and Ronald Evasic, but not Forrest Evashevski senior and junior.
Searching by Date
- Year -- searches for a single year (a "not equals" search would eliminate a single year"
- Date Range -- uses a begin-date and end-date to search a range of years. (to find all players from the 1930s, search for "begin date=1930" and "end date=1939"). The Date Range search must include a valid end date.
Searching by Event/Position
- Reliable searching on this field will be difficult, with the exception of searching for "diving." Other events were named /recorded in a variety ways. Try using the "contains" search option.
Results can be sorted in a variety of ways. Before pressing the "Find" button, select the order in which you want the results to be sorted. The default sort is by lastname-firstname-year.
The options are:
|Option||Full Sort Order|
|letter-year||type of letter won, year, lastname-firstname*|
|year-letter||year-type of letter-lastname-firstname|
|letter-name||type of letter, lastname-firstname-year|
|*||Letters are sorted in the order : varsity, reserve, jr. varsity, ama, physical ed. numeral, sophomore numeral, sweater award, non-letterwinner, and freshman letter/numeral|