[Two story building north of East Engineering]
- Erected in 1883 by the City of Ann Arbor as a public school.
- Known at Tappan School.
- Brick, two-story building containing 29 rooms (10 classrooms) and a basement study hall.
- Net floor space: 20,194 sq. ft.
- Purchased by the University in 1922 for $76,200.00.
- $2,000.00 set aside by the Regents for alterations and repairs to the building.
- Used mainly by the College of Engineering.
- Demolished in [xxxx] to make room for the Physics and Astronomy Building construction.
East Hall, built in 1883 as a public school building and known then as both Tappan School and the 6th Ward School, was a two story brick structure containing twenty-nine rooms and a basement. The University purchased the building from the City of Ann Arbor's Board of Education in 1922 for a price of $76,200.00 and spent an additional $2,000.00 remodelling the structure for its new use.
The building was used for both classroom and office space. By 1955 the offices of the Engineering English Department were located there and the classrooms used for courses in English and mathematics. In [xxxx] East Hall was demolished in order to make room for the new Physics and Astronomy Building.
The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey; Walter A. Donnelly, Wilfred B. Shaw, and Ruth W. Gjelsness, editors; Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, 1958