The Making of University of Michigan History
Administration Building, post-war construction boom...
The first fruits of a post-war building boom came on-line in 1948/49. The $2.45 million dollar Administration Building consolidated central administrative and student services offices previously scattered in eight buildings and also provided a home for the university's new radio station, WUOM. A $2.7 million Business Administration Building and a $2.6 million expansion of the Chemistry and Pharmacy Building provided badly needed classroom space. In the second sub-basement of Randall Laboratory the 300-million electron volt synchrotron began smashing atoms for Professors David Dennison and H.R. Crane.
Photo Source: Administration Building, ca. 1949, later the LS&A Building; University of Michigan Photographs Vertical File, UBImus D13 (227)