- 1962-Michigan State University remodels Union restroom to deter homosexuals.
- 1962-Illinois becomes first state to make consensual same-sex acts legal. *
- 1966-First U.S. gay community center opens, in San Francisco, led by The Society for Individual Rights. *
- 1967-Officials are charged with concealing movie cameras to view homosexual activity in Wayne State University restrooms.
- 1967-Wayne State University administration agrees to destroy files on suspected homosexuals.
- 1967-First gay bookstore in the U.S. opens: Oscar Wilde Memorial Bookshop (in New York City). *
- 1968-The American Psychiatric Association moves homosexuality from sociopathic category to sexual deviation. *
- 1968-Michigan repeals criminal sexual psychopath law.
- 1969-Stonewall riots. *
This subject guide was created by School of Information graduate student JJ Pionke MSI '13.