- 1990-Michigan State University trustees revise non-discrimination bylaw to expressly protect sexual orientation.
- 1990-Organizers of Michigan Womyn's Music Festival issue statement prohibiting S/M activities.
- 1990-Twenty-six Michigan athletes take part in Gay Games III in Vancouver, Canada.
- 1990-Wayne County judge strikes down Michigan sodomy and gross indecency statutes.
- 1991-Ann Arbor City Council unanimously enacts state's first domestic partnership ordinance.
- 1991-Eastern Michigan University bans discriminatory acts against minority students.
- 1991-Michigan Womyn's Music Festival evicts attendee believed to be transsexual.
1993-AIDS Anthology of Writings, a student publication, contains various creative writings about AIDS, including I'm Sick of AIDS by Nick Pawlowski. Jim Toy, Box 9.
- 1993-Don't Ask, Don't Tell, U.S. military policy adopted. *
- 1993-University of Michigan regents pass by-law barring discrimination based on sexual orientation.
1993-Billie Edwards resigns as the last Lesbian Advocate at the University of Michigan. Billie Edwards, Box 1.
- 1995-Keith Orr and Martin Contreras open Aut Bar on Braun Court in Ann Arbor.
- 1996-Congress passes Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), forbidding federal recognition of (and benefits for) married same-sex couples. *
- 1996-Eastern Michigan University's trustees amend non-discrimination policies to include sexual orientation.
- 1996-Governor John Engler signs bill into law banning same-sex marriage in Michigan.
- 1997-Michigan State University trustees approve domestic partnership benefits for LGB faculty and staff.
- 1997-Ypsilanti City Council enacts non-discrimination ordinance.
- 1998-Matthew Shepard murdered in Wyoming. *
1998-Candlelight vigil held at the University of Michigan for Matthew Shepard. Office of LGBT Affairs, Box 3.
- 1998-Detroit City Council extends domestic partnership benefits to LGB city employees.
- 1998-Eastern Michigan University extends domestic partnership benefits to LGB faculty.
- 1998-State Representative Lynne Martinez of Lansing introduces bill to add lesbians and gays to Michigan's hate crimes law.
- 1999-Ann Arbor amends non-discrimination ordinance to protect gender identity.
This subject guide was created by School of Information graduate student JJ Pionke MSI '13.