James W. Craven
Conservator | Conservation and Preservation | firstname.lastname@example.org
Jim Craven started with the University of Michigan Binding Department in 1949. After an interruption of three years with the U.S. Army in Korea, he returned to finish his apprenticeship. In 1964 Jim became "Supervisor of the Binding Department."
When the bindery closed in 1974, Jim took the position of "Document Restoration Specialist", headquartered at the Bentley Historical Library. For six months out of the year, he works on Michigan Historical Collections materials housed at the Bentley. In the remaining six months, he works two months each for the William L. Clements Library (which specializes in Americana), the Special Collections Library (formerly Rare Books Room) in the graduate library (an eclectic collection of rare books), and the Law Library's Rare Books Room (a worldwide law collection).
Jim is a member of the following organizations: American Institute for Conservation, Library Binders Institute, Midwestern Association of Forensic Scientists