A step-by-step guide for Library users
The Library is open without fee to the public, and we welcome researchers regardless of academic or professional affiliation. Because our one-of-kind materials can only be viewed here in our Reading Room, please follow these instructions if you would like to order duplication of our material. Please visit our Duplication of Materials page for additional information about prices.
If the online process is giving you trouble, please contact Reference staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-764-3482. We’re here to help!
NOTE: you cannot save your order and come back it later—you need to fill in and submit the duplication request all at once.
1. First, sign in to your Bentley research account.
- You don’t need a U-M login! If you don’t have one, you can create a U-M Friend Account, then use your username and password to “activate” your Bentley research account. Please visit our Research page and click “Create” to begin: http://bentley.umich.edu/research/
2. Submit a “New Reading Room Request” from either Mirlyn or the Finding Aids for the item/box that contains the items you would like.
- You can find instructions on our Requesting Items page: http://bentley.umich.edu/research/requesting-items/
- If you are choosing folders from a finding aid, please fill in the check box for ALL the folders containing material you want duplicated.
- You will specify individual items in a later step.
3. Click on the transaction number (TN) that appears in your account.
4. Click the “Order Duplication” link at the top of the page.
- This will create a second transaction number for your actual order.
- NOTE: if you are in the Reading Room and ordering duplication from an item on your table, please click on the transaction number listed on your call slip and use the “Order Duplication (checked out)” link.
5. Scroll down to the “Items to Duplicate” section.
- If you clicked more than one folder title, they are automatically transferred to separate boxes named “Folder Title.”
- If you need to delete folders from your order, click “Delete Item.” If you need to add new folders, click “Add Item” and copy/paste in the folder title.
6. Under each Folder Title, use the Description box to list what you want duplicated.
- Examples: “all contents,” “7/4/1918 letter;” “1920 Report on Budget;” “pages 11-40;” “photo of family dog,” “HS 1234,” etc.)
7. Choose your Format, Delivery Method, and Service Level from the drop-down menus.
- Please remember that we charge $0.20/page for photocopies, $0.25/page for pdfs, and $10.00/image for jpg/tiff files.
- We do not duplicate entire boxes from collections.
8. If this order will be charged to a U-M unit, please use the Special Request field to provide your shortcode for payment.
9. When you are done, click “Submit Request.”
- Remember, you can’t edit your order after you click submit! If you need to edit your order, please contact Reference staff at email@example.com or 734-764-3482.
10. Look for this new request in your account. It is your duplication order and will show both an item Status and a Duplication Status notification.
- After a few minutes, the system will cancel the original request, so you will have only one transaction number for your order.
You can track the Duplication Status of your order in your research account. Generally photocopy/scan orders will take 2-4 weeks; oversize or AV duplication will take 8 weeks. When duplication is complete, you will receive an email with your order total, then you may pay for your order by cash or check, or by credit card that you call in to Reference staff.
Please contact our Reference staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 734-764-3482 if you have questions about our procedures. We’re happy to help!