Railroad Collections in the Bentley Historical Library: Bibliographical references
Railroads tend to have complex family histories, due to frequent mergers, bankruptcies, and changes in operating agreements. The relationships shown in this index are meant to be helpful for connecting related companies. They are based on information from the following reference sources.
Drury, George H.
- Historical guide to North American railroads. 2nd ed. Waukesha, WI : Kalmbach Books, 2000.
Edson, William D.
- Railroad names : a directory of common carrier railroads operating in the United States, 1826-1982. Potomac, Md. : W.D. Edson, 1984.
Jackson, Elisabeth Coleman, and Carolyn Curtis, compilers.
- Guide to the Burlington archives in the Newberry Library, 1851-1901. Chicago, Ill. : Newberry Library, 1949.
- Steam & thunder in the timber : saga of the forest railroads. Denver : World Press, 1979.
Meek, Forrest B., and Carl J. Bajema.
- Railways & tramways : a chronicle of Michigan's logging railroads. Clare, Mich. : White Pine Historical Society, 1989.
Meints, Graydon M.
- Michigan railroads and railroad companies. East Lansing : Michigan State University Press, 1992.
Michigan Railroad Commission.
- Aids, gifts, grants and donations to railroads including outline of development and successions in titles to railroads in Michigan. Lansing, Mich. : Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., 1919.
Simons, Richard S., and Francis H. Parker.
- Railroads of Indiana. Bloomington : Indiana University Press, 1997.