Bentley Access Updates
The Bentley Historical Library is now open to all researchers by appointment only.
See our Visiting page for hours and location.
To keep our visitors and staff safe, and to comply with state law and university regulations, the Bentley has instituted the following procedures:
Before You Visit
- You must register for a Bentley research account and use it to request an appointment at least 3 days in advance of your desired date. You can request appointments for multiple days in one week, though we may ask you to limit requests if there is high demand. A Bentley staff member will confirm your appointment time with you.
- Please note: the appointment is only for you. We cannot guarantee same-day accommodation for people intending to visit together. Each person must register for their own Bentley research account, then request material and an appointment.
- Use your account to place requests for all material that interests you. The end of the request form now includes an option to create a new appointment or select an existing appointment. Please use that option to assign one or two boxes/items to your appointment, which we will place at your table so you may begin research right away. If you can’t assign them to an appointment, please use “No appointment” to submit the request. We have two scheduled retrieval times during the day if you need to switch out material.
- You must complete a ResponsiBlue screening check at home on the day of your visit. If you have COVID-19 symptoms, please rest at home and email/call us to reschedule your appointment.
- We have limited face-to-face archivist consultation in the Reading Room. If you need research assistance, please ask questions or schedule a video consultation by emailing our Reference staff at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to your library appointment.
When You’re Here
- Please check in and out at the Welcome desk. Bring a valid photo ID to show the check-in staff when you arrive.
- There is free visitor permit parking at the Bentley on the south side of the building. We will issue you a parking permit when you arrive.
- Masks are optional in the library as of March 14, 2022 in accordance with university guidelines. Please be respectful of each other’s choices. We have KN95 and surgical masks available for those who would like them.
- We will limit the number of researchers in the Reading Room. All researchers will be seated at their own table.
- Please bring your own laptop/tablet, pencils, pens, materials to take notes, etc. You may take photographs of most material with your own camera or cell phone, but personal scanners aren’t allowed.
- You can hang jackets in our coatroom and store small personal items in our lockers. We don’t allow bags/purses, food/drink, or outside coats in the Reading Room.
- We request that you wash your hands before beginning research. Hand sanitizer is also available.