Donors of historical materials are individuals or organizations that give materials to the Bentley.
The gift agreement is a formal and legal agreement between the donor and the Bentley that transfers ownership of and legal rights to the donated materials. After discussion and review of the various elements of the deed, the donor or donor’s authorized agent and a representative of the Bentley both sign it. The signed deed of gift establishes and governs the legal relationship between donor and repository and the legal status of the materials.
The gift agreement commonly addresses:
- Name of the donor
- Title and description of the materials donated
- Transfer of custodial ownership
- Terms of access to the collection
- Transfer of intellectual property rights
- How separations should be disposed