East Hall

[Two story building north of East Engineering]

East Hall, built in 1883 as a public school building and known then as both Tappan School and the 6th Ward School, was a two story brick structure containing twenty-nine rooms and a basement. The University purchased the building from the City of Ann Arbor's Board of Education in 1922 for a price of $76,200.00 and spent an additional $2,000.00 remodelling the structure for its new use.

The building was used for both classroom and office space. By 1955 the offices of the Engineering English Department were located there and the classrooms used for courses in English and mathematics. In [xxxx] East Hall was demolished in order to make room for the new Physics and Astronomy Building.

The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey; Walter A. Donnelly, Wilfred B. Shaw, and Ruth W. Gjelsness, editors; Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, 1958