The Interns' Home, which was completed in December, 1939, is connected with the Hospital by an underground passageway. The building consists of three floors in addition to the ground floor; it is so planned that it may be extended by adding two stories without impairment of its proportions and design. An elevator shaft, not utilized at the present time, has been provided in case of expansion.

Care was taken to place the recreational facilities of the building as far as possible from the living quarters, so as to avoid disturbing those who must sleep while others are engaged in leisure-time activities.

The ground floor contains the trunk room, a photographic darkroom, a recreation room covering 2,000 square feet and adjoined by a kitchen, and a handball court. On the first floor, at the right of the main entrance, is a reception room; on the east side of the second floor a lounge room, with paneled walls and built-in bookcases, affords a magnificent view of the Huron River and surrounding country.

The bedrooms, the majority of which are single rooms, have ample closet space and private lavatories. In addition, there are shower rooms, with marble shower stalls and marble wainscoting on each floor. Sixty-one interns are accommodated in these rooms. The building measures 39 by 154 feet and furnishes 23,295 square feet of floor space. It is equipped with a loudspeaker system extending to all corridors and to the handball court and the recreation and lounge rooms.

Source: The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey; Walter A. Donnelly, Wilfred B. Shaw, and Ruth W. Gjelsness, editors; Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, 1958.