Ron Kramer modeled a mid-1950s uniform on Ferry Field.
Two-inc numbers were added to the sides of the helmet in1956.
When Bump Elliot became head coach in 1959 a block M was added to the shoulder of the away game jerseys
Dennis Fitzgerald, halfback on the 1959 and 1960 teams (and an All-American wrestler), was the last player to wear a leather helmet.
In 1961 the middle stripe of the helmet was extended to the base of the back of the helmet
1968 was the last year numbers appeared on the side of the helmets and in that year only a block M was added to the sleeve of home game jerseys. .
When Bo Schembechler arrived in 1969 a few minor changes were made to the uniform. Numbers were placed on both home and away game jersey sleeves and stickers in the shape of gold footballs were affixed helmets to recognize a player's "big plays."
The biggest change in 1969 was the adoption of an entirely new style of shoe and cleat for use on the newly installed artificial turf in Michigan Stadium.
The look of the helmet was modified slightly in 1970 by extending the side stripes so that all three stripes converged hear the base of the helmet, just above the player's number.
The number disappeared from the back of the helmet in1975 and the center stripe was extended to the base of the helmet.
Also in1975, "big play" decal was revised to feature the head of a snarling wolverine.
According to author, John Kryk, when Bo introduced his gold footballs it was suggested that they were a mere imitation of Ohio State's buckeye stickers, Bo insistently denied he was simply copying Woody Hayes, because, in Bo's words, "Woody got the idea from me.". Kryk traces Bo's use of stickers back to his third year as head coach at Miami of Ohio in 1965.
White pants were introduced for road games in 1974 and continued through 1975, after which yellow pants became the standard for both home and away games.