- Built in 1893-1894
- Architect: Spiers and Rohn, Detroit, Michigan
- General Contractor: Dietrick Brothers, Detroit, Michigan
- Cost to build: $49,199.20
- Net floor area: 18,189 sq. ft.
- Named in honor of the University's first president, Henry P. Tappan
Source: The University of Michigan: An Encyclopedic Survey; Walter A. Donnelly, Wilfred B. Shaw, and Ruth W. Gjelsness, editors; Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, 1958.