Michigan the Olympics
From the second modern Olympic Games held in Paris in 1900 to the 2014 games in Sochi, the University of Michigan has made its mark in Olympic competition. Including the squads for the Sochi games, 235 U of M students (188 varsity athletes) and coaches have participated in the Olympics, representing the U.S. and 24 other countries. Sixty athletes have qualified for multiple Olympic games: one athlete has participated in six Olympics, four athletes have qualified in four Olympiads, 14 have made three appearances and 41 have been two-time Olympians. They have won 150 medals: 72 gold, 39 silver, and 39 bronze. Michigan has had medal winners in every Summer Olympics except 1896 and gold medallists in all but four Summer Olympiads. (Medal totals include swimmers who swam only the qualifying races in an event. It is unclear if they have always actually been awarded medals.)
In 2008 a U-M Engineering student won the first U-M medals in the Paralympic games: a gold and silver in men's track.
Michigan's Track Gold Medallists
Dvorak, Schule, Rose, Hahn, Craig, Hubbard, Tolan
Twenty-seven U of M coaches, former athletes, and administrators have served as coaches or managers of national. teams. The University's Ferry Field was the site of the Midwest trials for the 1924 U.S. track team. U of M athletes have been prominent, at times dominant, in track, swimming, and diving, but have also won medals in baseball, basketball, Greco-Roman wrestling, kayaking and fencing.
Michigan Individual Swimming Gold Medallists
Davies, Robie, Barrowman, Dolan, Malchow, Ketchum, Phelps, Clary
This exhibit provides what we believe is a complete roster of University of Michigan students, alumni, coaches and administrators who have participated in the Olympics as athletes, coaches, managers or Olympic Committee officials.
Michigan Diving Gold Medallists
Degener, Webster, King, Boggs
The exhibit is organized by Olympiad. You can follow U of M athletes in several ways:
- by Olympic year using the Table of Contents
- by individual athlete using the Name Index
- list of UM Olympic medal winners
- list of UM by Olympians by sport
- list of UM Olympic coaches and administrators
The "page" for each Olympic year includes text, images and statistics.
Michigan Gold Medallists
Clawson, Hubbard, Fraser, Barton, Abbott, Gorski, Armstrong
* Most of the images included in this exhibit are from the collections of the Bentley Historical Library. Some images have been obtained from other archives or printed sources. Most of the images are from the athletes' U of M career rather than their Olympic performances. A list of photo credits and citations is included at the bottom of each exhibit "page." The exhibit and most of the images are copyrighted and should not be downloaded, redistributed or reproduced in any way without permission from the Bentley Historical Library.
"Michigan in the Olympics" was researched and prepared by Greg Kinney. Send comments or questions about the exhibit via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.