2000 - 2012
- 2000-Ruth Ellis dies.
- 2000-Vermont becomes the first state to allow Civil Unions.
2000-Ruth Ellis and Jim Toy. Ruth Ellis, Box 2.
- 2003-U.S. Supreme Court strikes down remaining state sodomy laws. *
2004-National Transgender Library and Archives finds a home at the University of Michigan. LILA, Box 1.
- 2004-Massachusetts becomes the first state to legalize same-sex marriage.
2005-LILA (The Lavender Information and Library Association) celebrates 15 years at the University of Michigan. LILA, Box 1.
- 2008-California courts allow same sex couples to marry which is then overturned by voters in Proposition 8.
- 2010-"Don't Ask, Don't Tell" military policy is repealed.
- 2012-Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) ruled unconstitutional by United States District Judge Jeffrey White.
- 2012-President Obama becomes the first President, while in office, to endorse same-sex marriage.
This subject guide was created by School of Information graduate student JJ Pionke MSI '13.