Polish Americans in Michigan
Selected Published Sources
The core of the original Polish Settlement on the East Side, Detroit.
Stanley Mackun, "The changing patterns of Polish settlements in the Greater Detroit area: geographic study of the assimilation of an ethnic group," 1964, p.122, Fig.3.
Click to enlarge
In this section of the guide you will find the selected primary
and secondary printed sources held at the Bentley Library. The
primary printed works, which contain evidence left by
contemporaries, include Polish newspapers, periodicals, and
various publications of organizations and societies. The
secondary printed sources, primarily books, supplement the
library's manuscript and archive collections and provide an
overview of the history of Polish Americans in Michigan.
To retrieve additional publications, please search the MIRLYN catalog. Select the "Word(s) anywhere" search field and type "Polish". In the advanced search mode, you may limit your search to books or serials (all) or journals and newspapers only.
Published Primary Sources
Business / Polish-American Chamber of Commerce Michigan
- Polish-American Chamber of Commerce Michigan (Detroit, Mich).
- Bentley owns: scattered issues from July 1960 to April/May 1965
The Polish American Chamber of Commerce - Michigan is "a non-profit organization incorporated in the state of Michigan. The Chamber promotes, assists and strengthen member businesses, both in domestic and international arenas" (description from website).
Citizen, The (Hamtramck, Mich.: 1939)
- Bentley owns: <1972:4:13>, <1984:5:10>, <1980:9:18> <1988:10:24> <1993:7:1>
Newspaper "Serving Hamtramck, north Detroit, Warren and Highland Park since 1934"
Dziennik polski =The Polish daily.
- Bentley owns: v.43:no.306 (1947:Dec.24), v.60:no.191 (1964:Sep.25/26), v.61:no.77 (1965:Apr.20), v.62:no.138 (1966:July 15/16), v.63:no.104 (1967:May 29), v.66:no.166 (1970:Aug.21/22), v.67:no.218 (1971:Nov.5/6), v.83:no.23 (1988:June 3/4), v.83:no.33 (1988:Aug.12/13), v.83:no.35 (1988:Aug.26/27), v.83:no.47 (1988:listopada 16/22), v.85:no.8 (1989:lutego 22/28), v.85:no.33 (1989:sierpnia 16/22), v.86:no.16 (1990:Apr.18)
The "Oldest Polish daily newspaper in the State of Michigan and surrounding territory," <1941>. Newspaper published since 1904.
- West Side Detroit Polish American Historical Society (Detroit, Mich.).
- Bentley owns: v.1 (2006:Nov.)-present
The West Side Detroit Polish American Historical Society is "an educational, historic, cultural, literary, and scientific organization, acting as a medium for research, public education, preservation, dissemination and publication of Polish and Polish American history and culture, specifically as it pertains to the immigrants who settled on Detroit's west side and the neighborhoods they built." (description from website).
- Polish Genealogical Society of Michigan (Detroit, Mich.).
- Bentley owns: v.1:no.1 (1981:May)-v.1:no.2 (1981:Sept.), v.2 (1982)-v.15 (1995)
Continued as Polish eaglet.
The Polish Genealogical Society of Michigan in Detroit is "dedicated to promoting and encouraging research in Polish genealogy, as well as preserving historical materials which would aid in researching Polish family histories." (description from website)
- Narodowa Federacja Młodzieży Polsko-Amerykańskiej (Detroit, Mich.)
- Bentley owns: v.2:no.1 (1935:Oct.)-v.2:no.4 (1936:Mar.)
Publication devoted to the affairs of Polish American youth.
[Friends of Polish Art publications collection]
- Friends of Polish Art (Royal Oak, Mich.)
- Bentley owns: <1962-1986>
Publications of the Friends of Polish Art, "an educational and social organization, established in 1937, acting as a medium for the promotion of understanding and appreciation of the Arts of Poland, its people and their descendants."(description from website)
Informator Polonijny: książka adresowo-telefoniczna Chicago z przedmieściami = Polish phone book: Chicago and Detroit.
- Bentley owns: 1990/1991-1991/1992
Polish daily news =Dziennik Polski
- Polish daily news (Detroit, Mich.). English edition
- Bentley owns: scattered issues from July 1970 to August 1989
(Ceased in 1989)
- Polish Genealogical Society of Michigan (Detroit, Mich.).
- Bentley owns: v.16 (1996)-v.24 (2004), v.28:no.2 (2008:Summer) v.29:no.1 (2009:Spring)
- Continues The Eaglet.
The Polish Genealogical Society of Michigan in Detroit is a "dedicated to promoting and encouraging research in Polish genealogy, as well as preserving historical materials which would aid in researching Polish family histories." (description from website)
Polish times = Czas Polski.
- Bentley owns: v.3 (2009)-present
"Polish American newspaper published in Metropolitan Detroit area" weekly, Warren, MI.
Polish weekly, The =Tygodnik Polski.
- Hamtramck, MI :Polish Daily News.
- Bentley owns: scattered issues from April 2002 to April 2007)
Polka news, The
- St. Charles, Mich. :C. Rohwetter.
- Bentley owns: scattered issues from December 2001 to May 2007)
- Hamtramck, MI:s.n.
- The Bentley owns one issue, v.1:no.1 (1957:Feb.28)
Tygodnik świat polski.
- Bentley owns scattered issues from October 1990 to April 1999
- Chiefly Polish; English insert.
Published weekly in Hamtramck, Mich. by Polish Daily News, Inc.
Published Secondary Sources
- Badaczewski, Dennis, Poles in Michigan, East Lansing, c2002
- Jensen, Cecile Wendt, Detroit?s Polonia, Charleston, SC, c2005
- Kowalski, Greg, Hamtramck; the driven city, Charleston, SC, c2002
- Radzilowski, Thaddeus, Polish Americans in the Detroit area, Orchard Lake, Mich., 2001
- Symanski, Edward, Polish settlers in Grand Rapids, Michigan, Polish American studies, vol. XXI, no. 2, July-December, 1964
- Wood, Arthur E., Hamtramck, then and now; a sociological study of a Polish-Americans community, New York, 
- Wrobel, Paul, Our way : family, parish, and neighborhood in a Polish-American community, Notre Dame, Ind., c1979
- Wytrwal, Joseph A., The Polish experience in Detroit, Detroit, 1992
- Wytrwal, Joseph A., Behold! The Polish-Americans, Detroit, c1977