The Law School Records at the University of Michigan: An online exhibit
The Bentley Historical Library holds 120 linear feet of records from the University of Michigan Law School. The records date from before the School's founding in 1859 until 1999, and include photographs of students, deans and facilities; correspondence files of deans after 1904; architectural records of the Law Quadrangle; and records from some of the law students' organizations. The records are fully described in the Bentley Library Law School finding aid.
This exhibit was designed by Jennifer Jacobs, assistant archivist, University Archives and Records Program. The site became part of the Bentley Library exhibit collection in June 2001. The images used in the exhibit are from collections housed at the Bentley Library. Digital facsimiles of the photographs were made specifically for this exhibit. Access to the Law School digital images and other digital images from the Bentley Library see: The Bentley Library Image Bank.
The Law Quadrangle
The Law School moved to its new quarters in 1930. At the specifications of benefactor William W. Cook the Quadrangle was modeled on the architecture of Oxford and Cambridge Universities. Cook had earlier donated funds for construction of the Lawyers' Club and Martha Cook women's dormitory.
View more images of the Law Quad
The Old Law School Building
The first Law Building on campus was located on the northwest corner of the Diag. Built in 1863 at a cost of $15,000, it was renovated and enlarged in 1893 and again in 1898. When the Law School moved to is new quarters the old Law Building was renamed Haven Hall after former UM President Erastus O. Haven. Haven Hall burned in 1950.
View more images of the Old Law Building