The Bentley Historical Library is now open by appointment only for U-M faculty, students, and staff.
Please use this link to request an appointment.
For all researchers, we are happy to schedule a video consultation before or instead of a visit to the library.
Please email us at bentley.ref@umich to set up a consultation.
The library’s Reference department will continue to receive and respond to remote requests from researchers who are not affiliated with the University, but our ability to check our physical collections remains limited and it may take us a while to respond.
To make a remote research request, please email email@example.com.
To keep our visitors and staff safe, and to comply with state law and university regulations, the Bentley has instituted the following procedures for using the reading room in person.
Please familiarize yourself with the new procedures here.
Hours and Location
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY:
MONDAY 1:10PM – 4:30PM
TUESDAY 9:30AM – 12:50PM
THURSDAY 9:30AM – 4:30PM
FRIDAY 9:30AM – 12:50PM
Bentley Historical Library
1150 Beal Avenue
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2113
From US 23: Exit at Geddes Avenue; proceed west on Geddes Avenue. Go straight through the light at the intersection of Geddes and Huron Parkway. Geddes Avenue becomes Fuller Road at this intersection. Continue on Fuller Road. Immediately after the third light, which is at Glazier Way and the V.A. parking structure, turn right onto Beal Avenue. The Bentley Historical Library is the second building on the right, after the Gerald Ford Presidential Library.
Parking and Bus Service
The library is located on the University of Michigan’s North Campus. Free parking is available on the south side of the building, with a permit provided at the time of your visit.
U-M Bus Routes and Schedules
Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority (TheRide) Bus Routes and Schedules
TheRide Routes nearby
Route #3: Huron River
Route #22: Pontiac-Dhu Varren
Route #66: Carpenter-Huron Parkway (Green Road Park & Ride is a stop on this route)
Access to Services
Please inform us about specific accommodations you may need by calling 734-764-3482, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The front entrance is wheelchair accessible and equipped with an automatic door opener, as is the entrance from the lobby into the public area.
- Our hallways, meeting rooms and reading room are wheelchair accessible.
- A wheelchair accessible drinking fountain is located near the front entrance.
- A gender-inclusive and wheelchair accessible restroom is available. Please request information at the front desk.
- A lactation room is located in the Lurie Biomedical Engineering Building (LBME) across the street. Please request information at the front desk.
- For information about additional resources for the U-M community, please see M-Library’s accessibility page.
The Bentley Historical Library Reference staff offers general assistance in person, by phone, and by email.
Ask An Archivist – this online form can be sent to Reference staff with your questions about our library, collections, duplication policies, or copyright information.