The Bentley Historical Library is open by appointment to the public.
Please use the BHL Research Appointment Request form to request an appointment.
To keep our visitors and staff safe, and to comply with state law and university regulations, the Bentley has instituted the following procedures.
Before Your Visit
- We are open by appointment only. Please view the BHL Research Appointment Request form for current appointment slots. It is possible to request appointments for multiple days in one week, though we may ask researchers to limit their requests if there is high demand. A Bentley staff member will confirm your appointment time with you.
- Please complete a ResponsiBlue screening check.
- Researchers must request material at least business 3 days prior to their appointment using their Bentley research account. When filling out our appointment form, please specify six boxes or five books that you will use per visit. We will not retrieve additional materials on-demand as we have in the past.
- We will not have face-to-face archivist consultation in the Reading Room. If you need research assistance, please schedule a video consultation or email our Reference staff prior to your library appointment.
- Please note: We cannot guarantee same-day accommodation for researchers intending to visit together. Each researcher must make a separate appointment request and register for a Bentley research account.
While You’re Here
- Please bring a photo ID and your completed ResponsiBlue screening check to show check-in staff through our outer doors when you arrive (we will not keep your ID as we have in the past). We will open the door for you; our outer doors will remain locked for safety.
- There is free parking at the Bentley if you have a parking permit. We will issue a permit to you when you arrive.
- All visitors and staff must wear a face covering regardless of vaccination status.
- We will limit the number of researchers in the reading room to 6 at a time. All researchers will be seated at their own table, which will be at least 6 feet from all other tables.
- Please bring your own laptop/tablet, pencils, pens, materials to take notes on, etc. This will help us clean and sanitize the reading room between researcher visits.
- You can hang jackets in our coatroom and store small personal items not allowed in the reading room (bags, food or drink, etc.) in our lockers.
- We request that you wash your hands before beginning research. Hand sanitizer is also available.
- Staff will disinfect tables, chair arms, and other high touch surfaces between researcher visits.